Monday 17 December 2007

Water,water everywhere...




It is the rainy season in East Coast Malaysia again. Temerloh is now flooded to the brim. Mentakab town has never been more like Venice than ever before. I broke my leg 2 weeks ago. It's not right to say that it is such a bad time to have a broken leg but if it had not been so, I would be able to go and see the places affected by the floods by myself without having to rely on others to take me around in their vehicles. Managed to group up with my other Rotary friends and went sending rice, biscuits, instant noodles and mineral water to the victims at the relief centre in the Tamil Primary School and Abu Bakar Primary School in Mentakab. The victims in the Tamil Primary School seemed highly strung and it was not surprising - the government social department forgot about them and we were told that most of the food supplies donated were either from NGOs or individuals. The local member of parliament had not been seen visiting them and that got them really mad.


I heard the next day that the group from the National Front (ruling party) were sent packing when they showed their faces at the relief centre. Lesson learnt: When natural disaster hits, get organised quickly.

No comments: